The Pearl Light Co., Melbourne, Australia, may have made this lamp in the mid 1930s when an Australian patent for the burner was applied for. The lamp head is a design that copies a Gloria hollow wire light of the period but with modifications. The fount is by Lilor, a French company, and is so marked on the pressure gauge. The slot in the cowling (middle image) is for a lit taper to preheat the two generators within (one above the other). The patent refers to improved vaporization of the oil (kerosene) by having two generators. This lamp is in Tony Press’ collection.
This No. 984 200 cp “Petroleum Lampe” is also marked with a camel on top of a turtle logo and BOMBAY, Calcutta, and Madras, Made in Germany, Sole Agents S.A.R. & Co., Petroleum (India) Lighting. This lamp is in Karl Göbel’s collection.
This Match-O-Lite lamp was made by the Powerlight Co., Winnipeg, Canada. The fount is a Nagel-Chase circa 1912-1920 with a riveted base plate. The burner is unique to this model, however. This lamp is in Neil McRae’s collection.
This lamp is stamped Powerlight Co – Winnipeg – around the top of the filler plug and stamped Match-O-Lite -Trade-Mark- on the bottom. The fount was likely made by Nagel-Chase, Chicago. The lamp has a Powerlight mixing chamber casting which is supported by the air tube. The match-lighting generator has a loop similar to a Coleman Q99. The shade holder supported a glass shade on the three wire tripod. The mixing chamber casting has a swing door that provides access to the generator orifice for cleaning. This lamp is in Alex Brasch’s collection.
Metallwarenfabrik Joseph Rosenthal, Vienna, Austria made this Phoebus brand 40 stove conversion lamp that is mounted on the fount of a No. 1 Phoebus stove. This kerosene fueled stove is preheated with an alcohol cup (left image). The burner (right image) has an extra turn around the mantle (not seen) to insure proper generation. The shade on this lamp, in Connie Carlsson’s collection, is not original. This stove conversion lamp appears in a 1931 catalog (McRae).
This lamp was made by Louis Runge, Berlin, Germany. Rolf Hübener, whose collection this is in, dates it to 1898. The upright mantle (missing) hangs from the wire over the burner (right image). This gasoline model lacks a pump but uses gravity and possibly heat from the generated lamp to pressurize the tank.
Eugen Schatz, Zug, Switzerland, made this Hasag Polar No. 3A hanging lamp. This model is a 300-400 cp kerosene lamp. The lamp is in Ruedi Fischer’s collection.
This Hasag Polar No. 7 hanging lamp is badged Eugen Schatz, Zug (Switzerland). This Polar model is unusual in having a curved reflector to concentrate the light down and to one side. Ruedi Fischer, whose collection this is in, notes that the wire mesh protects people if the globe breaks.
This unfired bracket or wall lamp is badged Eugen Schatz, Hasaglicht, Zug (Schweiz). Note the angled preheater cup to the left of the burner cap. The preheater cup is filled through an access door on the other side of the ventilator. This lamp is in Ruedi Fischer’s collection.
Hugo Schneider Aktiengesellschaft, Leipzig, Germany, made the HASAG brand. This HASAG Model 61 hanging lamp, in Kenny Connolly’s collection, has a lantern head so could have been used for outside lighting. This is a 180-365cp lamp, according to Neil McRae, that is pressurized with a separate pump at a fitting on the top of the fount. The lamp can be operated with either white gas or kerosene.
Hugo Schneider also made this Polar Model 0a outdoor donut lamp. An earlier version of this lamp, in Stefan Sindlinger’s collection, has the valve on top of the tank rather than on the fuel line as on later production. The spherical mantle created the long light reflection in the image. Stefan estimates the lamp to produce 300-400 cp. This model last appears in a Hugo Schneider 1927 catalog (Neil McRae).
This Hasag Polar, Model 5A, 500 cp kerosene lamp. strongly resembles the Petromax inverted lamp model. This one may be pre-WW II or from the ’50s. The lamp is in the collection of Neil McRae, who found another one of this model that had been stripped of its identifying marks by its shop owner in WW II London, so that he wouldn’t lose trade!
The Hasag brand also included alcohol fueled gravity lamps such as this Model 1356 in Conny Carlsson’s collection. This indoor Liliput model is 43 1/2 cm tall and was sold as an economy model. Conny believes this model was initially made in the early to mid-1930’s. The lamp also came with a shade/reflector.
Hugo Schneider Aktiengesellschaft also made this No. 2 alcohol mantle lamp that is in Erik Leger’s collection. Ludwig Gebauer has calculated that this style burner develops 5-10 mbar when it is running. A lever on the front side of the burner pumps fuel for preheating and the red lever on the upper right of the burner operates the main valve to carry vaporized fuel up to the nozzle.
This hanging alcohol (spirit) lamp was made by Jan Serkowski S.A., Warsaw, Poland, and is date stamped 1936. Rolf Hübener, whose collection this is in, does not pressurize the lamp to run it; gravity apparently is the sole source of pressure to operate the lamp. The lamp is also stamped “W.P. SAN.” indicating that the lamp was made for the sanitary troops of the Polish Army, so it was probably used in field hospitals, etc.
The label on this inverted lamp is in Chinese that can be dated by the writing to the 1940’s – 50’s. It says “731 Type 300 W Hanging Gas Lantern” “Global Trademark” and “Shanghai Qinfen Metal Products Factory” (from Bo Keller). This lamp is in Will Nelle’s collection.
Two views of a Hasag Model 56 lamp. This lamp has not been used; it probably came with a shade but that has been lost. Neil McRae compared it with catalogue descriptions to guess the model number. This lamp is in Henry Plews’ collection; image by N. McRae.
This donut lamp appears to be Model 175 made by Standard Licht Gesellschaft m.b. H. in either Germany or Switzerland. This lamp, in Kenny Connolly’s collection, was restored by him. Neil McRae notes that this 400cp kerosene model is about 53cm in height.
Model 200A (left) and 400A (right) donut lamps were made by Standard Licht Gesellschaft m.b. H. in Switzerland. These lamps, in Ruedi Fischer’s collection, appear in a 1948 catalog. Model 400A includes the optional stand mounted on the reflector. Model 200A is a 300 cp model with a built in pump. Model 400A is a 500 cp model with a built-in pump (McRae).
This Standard inverted lamp, in Walter van Gulik’s collection, is Model 590. It has a steel fount and requires a separate pump to pressurize. It is labeled Standard Petrolux, Timisoara (4th largest city in Romania), on the underside of the reflector. A fuel level indicator can be seen on the side of the fount. Neil McRae notes that this is a 300 CP kerosene model.
Standard Licht also made this model 2076 lamp. This kerosene lamp has an alcohol preheating cup. The fount decal reads: Starklicht – Otte = Bochum; Otte Bochum may be the distributor, according to Christian Hardt, whose collection this is in.
This is an American Gas Machine (Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA) pendant lamp made for and badged Stanleys (Stratford) Ltd, London, England. The lamp is specially made from a Model 69 hollow wire joined to an inverted pendant fount so it would be catalogued as AGM P69, according to Neil McRae, who photographed this lamp in John Kidger’s collection.
Tito Landi, Paris, France, made this 100 cp gasoline lamp in the early 1900’s. Erwin Schäfer, whose collection this is in, notes that the fount is unusual on this Tito Landi lamp because it is sealed so that there is additional fount pressure from heat besides the pressure that forms just above the wick as in this Tito Landi lantern. The globe is not original to the lamp.
Unic-Lumière, Paris, France, made this Model 6 table lamp which is a 400cp gasoline model as Model 9 below. The fount is polished brass and the lamp head is green enamel. The filler cap has a sliding bar handle; the pressure gauge (left rear) only has the Bourdon tube. This lamp is also in Henry Plews’ collection.
Unic-Lumière also made this Model 9 gasoline hanging or wall lamp. The fount is pressurized with a bicycle pump; the burner housing and reflector are aluminum. The cleaning needle is actuated by screwing the top bolt in (and out); the needle likely had a removable key, according to Neil McRae. Henry Plews, whose collection this is in, says that the lamp is balanced when hanging by sliding the hanging piece on the crossbar.
Neil McRae has this harp pendant lamp in his collection. The manufacturer is unknown but possibly German. The lamp is from Peru and has suffered some modification. This is the 1000th image on the website and was added on May 12, 2006.
This is a Ditmar Maxim Model 535. Probably 200 cp. It was made in Wien, Austria by Vereunigte Emaillierwerke Lampen und Metallwarenfabriken Aktiengesellschaft. It may date from the 30s. This lamp is in Neil McRae’s collection.
The Welsbach Light Co. Ltd., London, made this Model W3008 300 cp kerosene lamp in the mid-1920’s. This lamp, in Conny Carlsson’s collection, is running with another globe on the left, and has the original globe in the image on the right. These lamps have a gland nut inside the handle that, when loosened, allows the fuel tube to be withdrawn from the fount for cleaning (McRae).
This Wiktorin Model 8006 gravity lamp may produce 150 cp according to its owner, Peter Cunnington. Wiktorin was an Austrian company; Peter dates the lamp to circa 1914-18. The globe is not correct for the model; an inner glass tube is missing. As a lot of the construction is steel that had rusted, Peter has repainted much of the lamp.
Willis & Bates, UK, made these Bialaddin T10 table lamps for Aladdin Industries, another UK company. The Model T10 was always painted cream with a chrome trim. Neil McRae, who collection these are in, doesn’t know which variation seen here was produced earlier but the model was produced from the mid ’50’s until circa 1966.
This Model T10 lamp, in Jan Merkestein’s collection, includes the original shade.
Bialaddin Model T20 was only made for a year or so circa 1967-8, in a painted (left) and chrome version (right). Both the T10 above and T20 models here are 300 cp kerosene lamps. These are also in Neil McRae’s collection.
© 2000-2023 Terry Marsh