The Perfection Vapor Light Co., Freeport, Illinois, applied for the first patent for this lamp on October 25, 1915, that was granted with a second patent on July 3, 1917. Presumably this lamp was made during this PAT. APPD. FOR period (lower image). The mantle for this lamp is open at the top and bottom as on a Tilley lamp or lantern and is tied in the grooves below the air intake tubes and above the hex nut (upper right image). This 300 cp lamp uses kerosene (McRae). It was found and restored by the late George Rocen and is now in Dean Dorholt’s collection. Another example of this lamp can be seen below.
This unmarked lamp shares a fount and handle with the Radiolite lamp above so we assume it was also made by the Radiolite company (McRae). The clear etched shade is the same pattern as on the other advertised Radiolite lamp. This lamp appears to be match lighting. The mantle is tied at the top and bottom just to the left of the letter “A” as on the lamp above but the mantle holder is open on the sides to expose the generator. Note there is no tip cleaner as on the above model. Jon Schedler, whose collection this is in, ran it on gasoline.
The Pitner Gasoline Lighting Co., Chicago, made portable lamp Model 2001. This lamp is serial number 469 so may date to the first year of production, circa 1911 (McRae). The shade is similar to Pitner No. 1725 but has a decorative band soldered around the top (upper left image). With the 1725 shade the lamp was model 2005 (McRae). The air intake tube is hinged to access the orifice for pricking (upper right image). Note the preheater cup below the air tube. This torch-lighting lamp has the filler plug and control valve under the sliding cover (lower image). This 28″ tall lamp is in Keith Adam’s collection.
This lamp appears to be an earlier model made by Pitner based on the similarities of the burner and other parts. This 21″ tall lamp, in Doug Dwyer’s collection, has no preheating cup and a vertical air tube. The burner gratings are similar to the above lamp but are easily bent. The pump that this lamp came with can be seen here.
The mixing chamber, fount, & other parts on this unmarked lamp, that we believe was made by Pitner, are the same as on the unmarked lantern on this page that we also believe was made by Pitner. The burner parts in the right image are from a lamp in Conny Carlsson’s collection. He notes that the lamp is gasoline fueled, torch lighting and may be 200 cp. The burner caps are slotted and thread into the openings in the bottom of the mixing chamber above. The lamp in the left and center images is in John Anderson’s collection. We believe it has the correct shade holder and fits a shade that is 3 1/4″ in diameter.
This lamp is badged as a Radiolite Mfg. Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Model 4 (middle image) but is stamped Ulfers Mfg. Co, Freeport, Illinois, underneath the paper badge (lower image). The company’s name changed circa 1920 (McRae). The shade on the lamp (upper image) is original to this model. Compare to an earlier version of this lamp above. This lamp is in the Engbring family collection.
The base of this “Liberty-Lite” lamp (lower image) is stamped San Diego Lamp & Mfg. Co. San Diego, Calif. and Patented, 1924, U.S.A. This model was finished in nickel (upper left) or brass (upper right). The brass finish was described by the maker as bronze (likely lacquered brass – Vantiger). The lamp in the upper right and lower images is in Doug Dwyer’s collection and shares the burner and gas preheater with a lantern model made by this company. The lamp running in the upper left image, in Dean Dorholt’s collection, is outfitted with a shade that was sold with this model.
This Model 296 lamp is badged Standard-Gillett Light Co., Chicago, (Illinois), and appears in Catalog No. 31, circa 1910. The cowl is stamped with Patent No. 912,185, for the burner with the automatic cleaning needle (right image), that was issued in 1909 to Oscar Seehausen of that company. This 400 rated cp gasoline lamp was restored by Conny Carlsson.
This unlabeled lamp was advertised by the Sun Gas Lamp Co., Kansas City, Missouri, as their Home Reading Lamp No. 1 and their No. 1 General Utility Lamp. The No. 1 lamp above, in Dwayne Hanson’s collection, has a fuel-air tube that rotates just below the right valve wheel (lower image) to allow access to the mantle, globe, and burner parts. This model was rated at 550 CP.
This unidentified lamp may belong with the Sun Gas Lamp Co lamp above. Or it may have been made by the Economy Lamp Co, Kansas City, Missouri, based on fount similarities to this lamp. However, the burner (left image) is the same as on a Windhorst lamp that can be seen near the bottom of this page. This lamp is in Conny Carlsson’s collection.
The Sun Vapor Street Light Co., Canton, Ohio (middle image), made this gasoline gravity Student Lamp (upper image). This No. 143 lamp appears in their 1905 catalog where it was rated at 100 cp. The figure casting identified as Romeo and the weighted base (upper image) keep the lamp upright. The chimney and petticoat shade (lower image) are typical of the period for this type of lamp. Conny Carlsson restored this lamp in his collection.
This Ann Arbor No. 1 Arc, made by the Superior Mfg. Co., Ann Arbor, Michigan, is an early lamp that resembles an arc lamp except that the fuel comes directly up from the fount to the burner, where it is heated in the passage below the upright mantle holder and travels down to the orifice on the hexagonal surface below the O (right image). A cowling that protects this lower part of the burner is missing. This lamp is in Jim Lawrence’s collection.
The Superior Mfg. Co. also made this No. 2 Arc that was rated at 500 cp. The upright mantles on this early lamp required a stationary wire with a hook to hold the mantle erect by the top (lower image). The globe on this lamp, in Conny Carlsson’s collection, is not original. Both of these lamps appear in a 1905-06 catalog of this company. The retail price of this lamp was $12 and included a foot pump.
This unmarked torch-lit lamp has all the features of appliances made by the Thomas Manufacturing Co., Dayton, OH. We have no paperwork on this model, which is likely kerosene fueled as other Thomas appliances. The four arms on the burner supported a shade holder (missing). This lamp is in Peter Cunnington’s collection.
These are M1001 twin mantle “Kerosafe” kerosene table lamps made by Thomas Manufacturing Co., Dayton, OH. The lamps on the left and right are in Neil McRae’s collection. The lamp in the center is in Jerry Engbring’s collection. Neil was able to get one of his three models of this lamp running (right image). The shades are not original to these lamps.
Neil McRae has not learned the model for this Kerosafe lamp by Thomas Mfg. but notes that it is similar to M1007. This lamp is unusual in having a brass-sided, rather than steel, fount and a nickel-plated, cast iron handle. This lamp is in Doug Dwyer’s collection.
Thomas Manufacturing also made this outdoor bracket lamp, Model M1012. This Kerosafe lamp, in Doug Dwyer’s collection, also uses kerosene as the brand name implies. Note that the fount lacks feet to sit on a flat surface.
The Tures Lighting System arc lamp, manufactured in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Neil McRae took this image of the lamp which is in Jerry Engbring’s collection; the globe may not be correct for this lamp.
These lamps may also have been manufactured by Tures. The lamp on the left is in Jerry Engbring’s collection; image by Neil McRae, while the lamp running on the right is in Jon Schedler’s collection. The mica chimney appears to be original to the lamp. The metal hemisphere at the right end of the generator is adjustable to regulate the amount of air.
The burners on these unmarked lamps are nearly identical to the burner on a Tures lantern, so we are reasonably sure that they were made by Tures Mfg., Milwaukee, Wisconsin. These lamps, in Jerry Engbring’s collection, lack the shade and filler cap. The fount and handle (right) are as on an AGM P66 lamp The unique vertical valve operates a tip cleaner much the same as on a Coleman L220 lantern with a T88 generator. This lamp also has unusual horizontal air tubes.
This unmarked torch lighting lamp has the same mixing chamber casting as other Tures’ products so we believe it was also made by that company. The lamp, in Doug Dwyer’s collection, also has the same horizontal air intakes as the lamp in the above pair, right side. The lamp is running in the right image on Coleman fuel. Please contact me if you have any catalogs of Tures Mfg. Co. products.
Turner Brass Works was located in Chicago, Illinois, until 1907 when they moved to Sycamore, Illinois. This Turner Brass Works arc lamp is also marked Chicago, Illinois, below the burner. The lamp, running in this image, is in Craig Seabrook’s collection. The hook to hang the lamp rests to the side when not in use.
Turner Brass Works, Sycamore, Illinois, probably made the Model 800 lamp in the 1930’s but advertised it with a rounded fount. Sears sold this lamp finished in black and with this fount shape as their Model 7700. This lamp has a glass globe which is barely visible in this image; only the frame of the parchment shade is present. Turner products often have the unique two control valves and characteristic pump seen here. This lamp is in Craig Seabrook’s collection.
Sears sold the above model Turner Brass lamp in their Fall 1936 through Fall 1938 catalogs as their Model 7704. It was described as having a brown enamel base and chrome trim (McRae) This lamp, in Nick Kruzan’s collection, has the original Macbeth Thermo globe and top bracket to hold the globe in place.
Neil McRae was able to restore this kerosene fueled lamp to running condition, but he doesn’t know the manufacturer. It was made in the United States probably between 1915-1925. If you can identify the manufacturer and/or model please contact me.
White Manufacturing Co., Chicago, Illinois, made this No. 2 American Arc lamp circa 1900-1903 after which the company was purchased by Turner Brass Works. This lamp, in Keith Letsche’s collection, includes a glass globe, 7″ x 3″ inner mica globe, and adjustable rod to hold the mantle.
Windhorst & Co., St. Louis, Missouri, manufactured this donut lamp that was a ceiling light in a railroad repair shop in Pennsylvania. Henry Plews got a nice bright light from the lamp after he soldered a couple of parts and aligned the generator tip with the center of the air intake tube. The company name appears on the face of the pressure gauge.
This Windhorst lamp is also marked on the pressure gauge as the donut lamp above. Conny Carlsson, whose collection this is in,discovered that this lamp has the same burner (lower image) as the burners on a lamp model possibly made for the Sun Gas Lamp Co., Kansas City, Missouri, a company for which we can find no records, only a couple of advertisements.
Yale Mfg. Co., Chicago, probably made this unbadged torch lighting wall lamp. Lamp models with a similar flattened fount appear in a Yale catalog from 1912. The filler cap is a distinctive size that we have only found on other lamps that are badged by this company. This lamp is in Fil Graff’s collection.
This lamp is badged Yale Special Lighting System, Made by Yale Mfg. Co, Chicago. The burner casting is unique to Yale Mfg. Co. as are the burner caps (right) Both of these parts are as shown in a Yale patent issued on August 3, 1909. With the original asbestos core removed I filled the core of the generator with tiki torch material and the lamp runs as it might have a century ago.
Another Yale Special Lighting System appliance, this lamp, in Jon Schedler’s collection, is running with an original Yale Mfg. shade. The shade probably had a beaded fringe when new. We have limited catalog information for this company so cannot be more specific about the model.
© 2000-2021 Terry Marsh