The Justrite Co., Chicago, Illinois, made this No. 552 camp stove possibly in the early to mid 1920s based on the valve design. This gasoline fueled two burner stove, in Reese Williams’ collection, requires a separate pump (not shown) to pressurize the tank. The stove is not instant lighting and requires preheating.
This Hummer Camp Stove was made by the Kremer Metal Products Co., a company that existed in the mid-1920’s in Chicago, Illinois. Glenn Knapke, whose collection this stove and pump are in, found that the stove has an unusual fuel line/generator (lowest image)
that wraps around the main burner as on the much later Coleman 501. The preheater cup and openings to the Venturi tubes also appear in the lowest image.
A.J. Lindemann & Hoverson Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin probably made this Model 2 A stove in the 1920’s based on similarities to more well-known Coleman products. The stove is also identified as the Kerogas brand but is labeled for gasoline only. This stove was in Steve Winikates collection.
The Mantle Lamp Co. of America made this Aladdin M-1942 stove for the military; it is date stamped 1943. This early version of the model was protected by U.S. patent 2,465,572. The toothed wheel both regulated the flame and incorporated a tip cleaner. The operating instructions are on a metal tag soldered to the side of the tank. This stove, in John Rugotzke’s collection, can be compared to the stove just below this one.
Aladdin made this M-1942 stove in 1944, a year after the one above. The tip cleaner is a lever (left) separate from the star-shaped fuel valve. The water transfer decal on the side of the tank has the operating instructions. The square post on the windscreen held a wrench (missing) to maintain the stove. An example of the wrench mounted on an M-1942 stove can be seen here.
This stove has the same design as Coleman’s Model 372 King Hot Plate but the frame is embossed Jolp, a brand of Markt & Co. Ltd., a European company. Rob Radcliffe bought this stove in France. The striking green enamel on the frame appears on other French stoves of various manufacture. Besides being embossed Jolp, it is embossed MODELE BREVETE (patented model) on the right side and MARQUE DEPOSEE (trademark) on the left side.
This Bat brand, kerosene fueled tripod stove was made in the GDR (East Germany) after WWII by MEWA (Metall Warren Kombinat) at the Mewa Leipziger Werke VEB, Leipzig. This Model 1 stove included paperwork with printing dates of 1973 and/or ’74.
Midland Steel Products, Detroit, Michigan, made this SafeTcook Trailer stove. The master burner for this stove is in the front right position (lower image); the generator is kept hot by that burner. The ivory and red knobs above the tank control the air and gas flow to the burners respectively. This stove is in Glenn Knapke’s collection.
This Hi-Speed Picnic Stove (No. 1) was made by the Monitor Heating & Oil Appliances Ltd, Birmingham, UK. The stove fits in the carry case which doubles as a cooking grate for the stove when inserted in the case. This stove is in Jeff Johnson’s collection. Note the tip cleaners held in the front door.
The Monitor company also made this tripod stove with a bowl heater attachment. The paraffin (kerosene) fueled stove has a silent burner (left image). The wire guard for the heater attaches to the grate legs. David Kite, whose collection this is in, dates this stove- heater combination to the late 1940s. The illustration (right image) is from the box for this appliance.
The Russian company, Moscow Engineering Society V.V. Czernyshev, made this Primus Turistskij stove that is similar in design to a Primus 8R but with different threads and in some other details, according to Christian Hinz. The stove, in Jon Shearer’s collection, is running on white gas in the above image.
National Stamping & Electric Works, Chicago, Illinois, advertised the Handy Camp Stove (above) in the later 1910s, & the No. 1 Handy Camp Stove (below) in the early 1920’s. Both models are torch lighting so require preheating. and are pressurized with a separate pump. The Handy Camp Stove is in Bo Ryman’s collection, while the No. 1 is in John Stendahl’s collection.
This Cook Quick Model 112 stove was made or badged by Okeefe & Merritt, a Los Angeles, California, company. This stove requires a separate pump. It is in Ron Lenfield’s collection.
The only identification on this gasoline stove is Pak-Cook 235. This stove, in Dana Kennison’s collection, is a clone of the popular SVEA 123 possibly manufactured in Asia.
Poloron Products, Inc., New Rochelle, New York, made this two burner stove, Model GS-1. This stove, in Steve Winikates’s collection, came with the instruction sheet that is dated Dec. 1961. The windscreens latch through a loop in the back right corners of the cooking grate (right image).
Poloron Products also made the GS-1 camp stove in a different color combination for Sears. Sears sold it as Model 776.74180 under their J.C. Higgins brand. This stove is in Harold Ridarick’s collection.
Sears Ted Williams Models 776.74150 (above) and 776.74242 (below) were made by Poloron; they are similar in design to their Model GS-2. The left end of the tanks have a peg, that with the pump handle on the right, hold the tanks in the front of the stoves. The front legs double as handles; the tanks are aluminum. Paperwork that came with the stove on the left is dated Dec. 12, 1961. These stoves are in Bob Meyer’s collection.
If you compare this Poloron Model 776.7424 for Sears to Model 776.74242 above you will see that the tank on this one is longer, filling the space across the front of this three burner stove. This stove is in Lem Ervin’s collection.
Sears Ted Williams Model 776.74151 is very similar to the 2 burner stove above and is only one digit higher in model number so perhaps is the next version of the stove. This stove is in Brien Page’s collection.
This South African “Diaphragm Rotating Pressure Stove” is branded Prespar, probably the brand name, and is stamped Caltex, a petrochemical company that may have had the stove made to use their kerosene. The stove has a combination preheating cup/burner plate support above the disk shaped tank. By turning the tank clockwise while holding the base, an internal diaphragm is lowered and the stove can be fueled through the filler plug. Turning the tank anticlockwise (with the filler plug in place), pushes the diaphragm up and delivers the fuel to the burner. This stove is in Mario Fourie’s collection.
© 2000-2020 Terry Marsh