Coleman stamped Model 220C on the lanterns they made from 1944 until 1947.
This lantern, in John Stendahl’s collection, is dated October 1945.
Model 220C has a yellow decal on the fount with lighting instructions.
as did the predecessor 220BX/220C made during WWII.
Coleman only manufactured Model 228C after WWII, from late 1945 until early 1947,
with some production overlap with Model 228D (below).
Model 228C has the same features as Model 220C above including a green painted brass fount, screw-on pump cap, and yellow lighting instruction decal.
This lantern, dated B (July – Dec) 1946, is in John Stendahl’s collection.
This lantern is stamped 228D on the collar and has the features that one finds on other 220/228D’s of the mid 1940’s including the large valve wheel, two-piece stamped burner,
and “D” version of the instruction decal.
However, this lantern, in Jim Lawrence’s collection, is date stamped B 46 (July – Dec. 1946); compare to the date range for Models 220C and 228C above.
This early 220D has all the same
features as the 228D above but is date stamped B 47.
This lantern is in John Stendahl’s collection.
The two piece stamped burner (lower image) was used
on a number of lamps and lantern models for a short time after WWII
before Coleman returned to cast burners.
Coleman likely made this Model 237 shortly after WWII, circa 1946,
judging by the fount stamp they used during this period (upper right image)
and the steel tip cleaner nut (lower image) used primarily during WWII.
The brass sided, green painted fount is also characteristic of that time.
This lantern is in Dan MacPherson’s collection.
Coleman made the “D” version of Model 228 from the mid 1940’s until 1951.
This one, in Patrick Fay’s collection, is dated April, 1948,
and has the original globe
on which Coleman appears in large faint green letters.
This was the last version to have a nickel plated brass fount
and the pump is held in by two small screws, not a spring clip.
This Model 220D, in Deems Burton’s collection,
is almost like new and is dated B ’48,
which we think means it was made in July-Dec of that year.
The black handled Coleman reflector, 220D790, fits 220C-F models.
Note the two pegs in the bottom bracket of the reflector
to engage the corresponding holes in the globe cage bottom for attachment.
Another lantern in Deems Burton’s collection, the 242C,
is dated Aug. ’48, and is little changed from the 242B predecessor model.
This model was produced from 1942-50; some of them have the fount finished in green paint rather than nickel plated as here.
The blue handled Coleman reflector, #242C790,
is made for the 242 series, 247, and 249 model lanterns.
Coleman 237 lanterns with an American Optical film strip and slide projector (left)
and a Society for Visual Education Inc. slide and film strip projector (right).
The potential markets were missionaries and rural communities
that lacked electric power, according to a 1949 Coleman News.
These undated lanterns are in Dick Sellers’, left, and Shirley Willard’s, right, collections.
The Charles Beseler Co. also made a similar projector for this lantern (below).
The Charles Beseler Co., New York, made this 237 projector lantern. It is unique among the three in having an attachment to show lantern slides (lower image) in addition to 35mm slides and film strips (upper image). The two attachments are mounted in the bottom of the case in front of the lantern for transport. Note the alcohol preheating can for the kerosene fueled 237 lantern in the images. This lantern is in a Coleman collection near Sugarcreek, Ohio.
This Model 220D dated A 50 is unusual
in having the sides of the brass fount painted green
instead of being nickel plated.
Coleman may have been testing the paint or the market
for these prior to making all of them this way in A 51.
This lantern is in Agostino Del Coro’s collection.
This 220D (dated B 50) is mounted in a Clamp-A-Hood
marketed by the Ernie Brow Sales Co., Anderson, Indiana.
The purpose of the hood (left) is to reflect light out.
The clamp (right) allows attachment to a boat or other object;
the accessory was presumably marketed to fishermen.
This lantern and accessory came in a well-made box that is in Mike Wells’ collection.
This Model 200 lantern, dated Dec. ’50, is in Deems Burton’s collection and includes a red handled Coleman reflector, 200-790, made for models 200, 200A, & 202.
The two downward projections at the bottom of the bracket
fit into holes in the globe cage base on these models.
Coleman in Wichita, Kansas, made the Model 200 lantern in 1950-51.
Initially this model had a nickel plated brass fount,
as the lantern on the left, in Joe Salerno’s collection, that is dated Jan ’51.
By April ’51 the Coleman 200 (right) had a green painted brass fount,
no decal, and unpainted metal collar.
The lantern on the right is in Dan Boschen’s collection.
In “A” (Jan. – June) 1951 Coleman was making the 220D and 228D
with green painted brass founts rather than nickel plated brass;
compare to the Model 200, above right.
The valve wheels on these lanterns are brown plastic
and there is no decal on the side of the fount.
By November, 1951, Coleman’s Model 200A
had been introduced, replacing Model 200 above.
These earliest 200A lanterns
had green painted steel founts and,
by November, also had the Coleman decal.
This lantern is in Dan Boschen’s collection.
Months after Coleman – Wichita stopped making the Model 200,
they apparently got a wing nut to fasten the frame, and the embossed nickel plated brass
collar from Coleman – Toronto (bottom image) as for the lantern below,
to fill a special order for the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) (Boschen).
This lantern, in Ed Franklin’s collection, is date stamped November 1951.
The fount and direction disk are both marked US.
This lantern was also made in Wichita and is dated Nov ’51 as the above lantern for the OCD. The ventilator, wing nut to fasten the frame, and the embossed nickel plated brass collar appear to be from the Toronto factory while the other parts appear to be US made. One of these lanterns came with the original box. The label has information in French and Spanish in addition to English so perhaps these were meant for export. This lantern is in Ron Becker’s collection.
Coleman models 228E (left) and 220E (right) had steel founts.
The one on the left, in Dean DeGroff’s collection, is date stamped July 1951,
the earliest date we have seen for this model.
It lacks the Coleman decal under the filler cap
which Coleman started using a couple of months later,
as on the right which is date stamped October, 1951.
Coleman made this inverted lantern for military trial.
A similar lantern was made by The Mantle Lamp Co. of America.
The decal on this lantern (lower image)
identifies it as T 53-5, which may be the date of manufacture.
The lantern is in Richard & Lorna Long’s collection.
The direction disk on this Coleman 237 is stamped Made in United States of America but hidden by the collar the word CANADA is stamped (upper right image, above the red letter A). As on other nickel plated brass founts made by the Coleman – Toronto factory, the month and year numbers are in small numerals in the lower corners of the side fount stamp (lower image). So far we have only seen the CANADA stamping under the collar on Coleman – Wichita made 237s from the first half of 1954. This lantern is in Scott Wallis’ collection.
While this 242B has a number of Coleman – Toronto parts
including a ventilator nut and embossed collar,
the stamping on the side of the fount (lower image), burner assembly,
and date stamping of 8 55 on the bottom are as done by Coleman – Wichita.
Ian Keates, who bought this lantern in Switzerland for his collection,
does not believe that it had been disassembled before.
Another Coleman 237 lantern, this one is date stamped June 1958.
In addition to the familiar Sunshine logo
and Coleman in large letters stamped on the side of the fount,
it is also stamped Industria Brasileira (Portuguese) between the date numbers.
This lantern, in Mike Merz’s collection,
appears to have been made entirely in Brazil.
Coleman made the Model 200A for 32 years beginning in 1951.
By 1953 this model had a black base rest (left image)
and in 1961 (right image) the lantern was finished in maroon rather than red
but most years, as in 1960 (center), it was red with an aluminum base rest.
The lantern in the center has a replacement globe and fuel cap.
The lanterns on the left and right are in Shirley Willard’s collection.
Model 202, the Professional (left), is dated Jan., ’55.
This model was produced for 10 years beginning in 1954
For the first couple of years the burner was ceramic.
The lantern on the left is in Ken Fletcher’s collection.
Monte Dodge’s 202, running (right), is dated Mar. ’57 and has a metal burner tip.
Coleman initially made the Col-Max models in the US
beginning in 1939-40, then switched production to the Canadian plant
and later to Hong Kong, where they were made until 1970.
Col-Max models were exported to compete with Petromax style lanterns.
Model 333, in Jerry Engbring’s collection, is an undated 300 cp model Made in Hong Kong.
This Coleman 200A lantern has been modified with an elaborate globe cage
and 3 cylindrical globes, the innermost being a Fresnel lens.
An outer infrared filter keeps visible light from shining out the sides. This lantern was made for the military to help direct planes to airfields in or near enemy territory.
These lanterns, dated June ’59, are in Mike Rainey’s (left) & Dean DeGroff’s (right) collections. Please contact me if you have one of these lanterns.
This infrared Coleman lantern, in Jason Horne’s collection, came with the original box with military stenciling including the date (upper left), volume and weight of the box & contents (upper right), identification of the item (middle) (A/C = aircraft) and the stock number for the box and all its contents (lower left) (6260-21-805-4266). The lantern is cradled in padded rests (not seen) so it cannot move.
2000-2018 Terry Marsh