The Model 372 King Hot Plate dates to 1935 according to the 1965 Outing Products Manual. This stove, in John Stendahl’s collection, has an Everdur tank, cast iron legs and top that are enameled pale green. There is a metal shield to protect the tank from heat.
John Stendahl dates his 9A stove to 1935 – 37 based on several features in those years of production, including the shape of the filler plug (lower image) John believes the stove may have been made for a short time before they produced the 2B and 9B Models in 1937. Please contact me if you have the Directions for Operating a Model 9A stove.
This Model 371 Instant-Lighting Hot Plate was made in 1937 based on the accompanying paperwork and box stamp. The removable Everdur tank has a 3 pint capacity. The top is finished in ivory porcelain enamel with black porcelain grates while the sides are finished in ivory baked enamel. This hot plate is in Steve Whitten’s collection.
Camp stove Model 4F was an economy model that sold for $4.45 when it was introduced in 1936. The wire legs and pump that is held down by a bayonet mount rather than threaded down to provide a positive shutoff are cost saving features. This instant lighting stove is in Alex Swanson’s collection. The model continued into the early 1940’s renumbered to 417B.
Model 6F was one price step up from Model 4F above, $6.45, in 1936, the last year it appears in the Jobbers Catalogs. This instant lighting stove featured strap legs, an Everdur tank, and a typical Coleman pump with a threaded down positive shutoff.
Alex Swanson, whose collection this is in, dates this stove to 1934 – 1935. The original Everdur tank on this stove was stamped, not embossed.
Coleman Model 2H dates to circa 1935 – 36. This instant lighting model included an Everdur tank. The integral oven had a shelf (lower view) that could be mounted at one of two levels through slots on the front and back panels (upper view). This stove, in Don Ostby’s collection, has a decal for the Portland, Oregon, retailer Meier & Frank above the Coleman model decal.
The Model 3H stove appeared in Jobbers catalogs in 1936-37. With the cast iron burners the shipping weight of this model was 22 lbs! This model had a larger cooking surface. The retail price was $9.90 in 1936. This instant lighting model with an Everdur tank
is in John Stendahl’s collection.
Coleman began making the Model 6B stove in 1937. The stove, in Les Davis’ collection, has an Everdur tank which is described as follows on the label in the top of the case: “Electrically Welded – Not Soldered. ‘Everdur’ Is a new patented metal with the strength of steel and non rusting properties of copper, providing long life, safety and durability…”
Coleman’s Model 9 stove continued to be a model without an integral oven. This 9H stove, in Alex Swanson’s collection, has cast iron burners and an Everdur tank. This instant lighting model dates to late 1935 – 1936. A pin holds the pump handle in the pump well after pumping. The left valve wheel slides out of the case for turning.
Coleman made Model 2B out of sequence in 1937. Model 2B is instant lighting and has a wire grate. This stove, in Alex Swanson’s collection, includes the heat diffuser (A in the lower image) and corrugated oven rack (B in the lower image). If you have a Model 2B please contact me about the tank color.
As Model 2B above, Coleman also made Model 9B out of sequence in 1937. Except for lacking the integral stove cabinet, it has the same features as model 2B. This stove is in Alex Swanson’s collection.
Coleman’s first 3-burner camp stove, Model 418, is included only in the 1937 Coleman Jobber’s catalog and weighs 28 lbs! Compared to the later 3-burner 420 (below) this stove features squared corners. This model features cast iron burner manifolds, Everdur tank, and front auxiliary controls. This stove, found in this condition by Joe Pagan, is in Dick Sellers’ collection.
Model 418B appears in the 1938 – ’40 Jobber’s catalogs. Coleman describes the differences in Model 418B as a Solodur tank, a knurled fuel cap, and a different pump. This stove is in John Stendahl’s collection.
Model 412B appears in the 1939 Jobber’s catalog. In the 1938 catalog it is in transition from being Model 6B to 412B. (See 413B below also.) This stove, in Don Ostby’s collection,
features a Solodur tank and is instant lighting. This model lacks an oven.
Model 413B appears in the 1938 – ’40 Jobber’s catalogs. In the 1938 catalog it is in transition from being Model 3H to 413B. This instant lighting stove, in John Stendahl’s collection, has the original instruction sheet that is dated January 1939. To see the post-WWII version of this model, click here.
Model 416B had an integral oven and Solodur tank and replaced the same sized Model 2B (above) that had an Everdur tank. This instant lighting stove, in John Stendahl’s collection, appeared in 1938 and ’39 catalogs and retailed for $9.95 in ’39. The corrugated oven rack and sheet steel heat diffuser are original to the stove (upper image).
Coleman’s 2-burner camp stove, Model 419, was available only in the 1941 catalog. The control knob for the second burner retracts into the stove for transport. The bend in the grate wire makes room for the tip cleaner valve when the tank is stored in the stove. This stove is in John Stendahl’s collection.
This Model 420 stove is a large 3-burner model that Coleman made in 1941 only; as Model 419 above The instruction booklet is dated Oct. ’40. This stove is in Harold Porter’s collection.
This No. 10 green painted stove stand has nearly the same measurements as this black painted stand that was presumably made several years earlier. A green stand appears in a 1939 Coleman Jobber’s catalog and retailed for $2.25. By this time the stove models were painted green as this stand, that is in Doug Dwyer’s collection.
Coleman Trailer Range Model 390 appears in Jobbers Catalogs from 1937 – 1939. This stove, in Benjamin & Rhonda Adams collection, was advertised as having Band-A-Blu type burners, Ivory porcelain, and a removable, 3-quart Everdur tank. The tank, with built-in pump, is located inside the right compartment.
Model 379A 3-burner Cabin Stove with high back and legs appeared in the Coleman 1939 Jobber’s Catalog. The Everdur tank has a built in pump. and the control for the right burner is above the tank. This stove is in Larry Hollenberg’s collection.
Coleman also made larger Cabin and Trailer stoves such as this Model 392 that features “Band-A-Blu” type burners that Coleman claimed “Light Instantly, Powerful Heat, Easily Regulated.” This nicer model sold for $13.95 in 1939. The stove, in Ron Lenfield’s collection, is sitting on a stand for camp stoves.
Coleman made larger heating units called Handy Gas Plants for such places as dairies, farms, and workshops. Models 457G (upper row) and 460G (lower), are both running in these images. They require an external pump and have pressure gauges. The 457G has an optional heater top in the image on the left. The 457G has a 5″, 35000 BTU burner on a 3 gallon fount, while the 460G, in Steve Potter’s collection, has a 7″, 50000 BTU burner on a 3 gallon fount (Dan Boschen).
This Handy Gas Plant Model 575, seen here restored by Dan Boschen, was used on the Atlantic City Boardwalk during WWII to heat food for visiting troops. The fount on this model is 2 gallons and the stove has a 5″, 35000 BTU burner. Note the small filler cap that also takes an external pump.
Model 458G had a smaller, 3″ diameter burner (lower image) that generated as much as 18,000 BTUs. Model 458 lacked the grate. The fount and filler plug are the same as on Model 575 above. Steve Wehausen, whose collection this is in, kept the original paper label on the side of the fount (upper image). Coleman promoted this model for use in farm dairies and creameries. It disappeared from Coleman Jobbers Catalogs after WWII.
This Coleman 500 Speedmaster stove is dated B ’41 and was made in Wichita. The Ivory paint on the brass fount was applied in the factory at that time, probably due to a shortage of nickel. The burner, grate, and pan appeared to be painted black before they were repainted. This stove is in Doug Dwyer’s collection.
© 2000-2021 Terry Marsh