Austramax PTY. Ltd., Brunswick, Australia, made a limited number of these lamps, perhaps in the 1960’s, according to Jason Tyler whose collection this is in. Jason notes the similarity of this lamp to their lantern Model 3 300 from that period. The handle is painted Bakelite. He added the vent and globe to be like another that he has seen.
W. T. Barnard & Co. (Lamps) Ltd., London, England made this unknown model hanging lamp. This kerosene lamp is missing the top cowl. It was made in the 1930’s or 40’s, per Neil McRae, who took this image of Henry Plews’s lamp.
Another Barnard lamp, this chandelier model was made and sold by The Blanchard Incandescent Lamp Co., London, as Model B153 (Neil McRae). This exceptional lamp, in Kenny Connolly’s collection, is missing the cowls from above the two burner units. There is a pressure gauge on top of the fount and a fuel level gauge below the badge on the side of the fount.
Blanchard Model 1215 appears in a 1929 catalog of that company, according to Neil McRae, whose collection this lamp is in. Each burner is rated 350 cp; Neil thinks the lamp was producing 500 cp when he took this image. The fount is polished copper with a pressure gauge and fuel level gauge as the lamp above.
This Model 1215 differs from the one above in having longer arms and the cowls covering the burners are present. This lamp is in James Harvey’s collection.
Blanchard lamp Model 1000 also appears in the 1929 catalog as Model 1215 above. This kerosene fueled lamp was rated at 100 cp and is so stamped on the burner along with a date of May, 1922. This lamp is in Neil McRae’s collection.
Blanchard brand lamps were later made by W. M. Still & Sons, Ltd., London, England. Neil McRae notes that this Model 1128 hand lamp, which is in his collection, was made from 1929 to 1943. They were used during WWII by the British Army. The lamp burns kerosene and is rated at 150 cp.
“The Blanchard” as this lamp is identified by the badge on the fount, is Model 1370 by this company. On this model the fuel level gauge is above the badge. Kenny Connolly, whose collection this is in, put a conical piece over the burner which is not original to the lamp.
This Blanchard lamp is badged and has a fuel gauge as the preceding. It appears to be Model 1307 (Neil McRae). Karl Goebel got this unfired lamp in France in the original wood packing box. The lamp was sent in 1951 to Portugal according to the paperwork.
The paperwork also identifies it as a 1300 series lamp.
This is a Cleary “B P” kerosene Standard Lamp. The only light that British Petroleum ever made, it was named for its inventor, Edwin Cleary. This lamp is in Neil McRae’s collection. Neil says that this lamp produces 280 cp and was manufactured circa 1922. This is the quietest pressure light Neil has ever heard.
Continental-Licht und Apparatebau Gesellschaft m. b. H. Frankfurt am Main, Germany
made this Transportable Lamp No. 66 circa 1910. This lamp, in Erik Leger’s collection, is stored in its original case (left). In use, the lamp was suspended by a cable within a several meter tall tripod. The fount is pressurized by a separate foot pump (not shown).
The lamp is running (right) with two Aladdin mantles that are not large enough for the lamp which was rated by the manufacturer at 1500 HK (= 1354 CP).
Continental Licht & und ApparatebauGesellschaft m. b. H., also made this Model 3715 table lamp. It is a 200 hk gasoline lamp, according to Erik Leger, who believes the filler cap (right) may not be original to the lamp. Neil McRae took these images of the lamp, which is in Ian Caunter’s collection. The composition handle has an unusual varnish coating. Note the tip cleaner lever under the frame.
This 61cm tall lamp is stamped Volcan Industria Argentina No. 400. The manufacturer, Cuareta y Cia, was located in Buenos Aires. Neil McRae, whose collection this is in,
believes this kerosene fueled lamp produces 300 cp (left image). The lamp includes a black enameled shade ring.
Curtis’s & Harvey, UK, made the Evening Star brand, here R92061, may be a catalog #, rather than a model #. The shade is for the photograph only. The burner (right) is almost an exact copy of the Coleman CQ twin burner table lamp. This lamp is in Neil McRae’s collection.
Another Evening Star lamp, this bracket or wall model, #92075 might also be called a wall lantern since it was originally supplied with a mica globe and has a ventilator.
These lamps (#92061 above and #92075) were made between 1919 and 1931. This lamp is in Neil McRae’s collection.
Model R92071 is an Evening Star indoor bracket model. Neil McRae, whose collection this is in, ran the model with gasoline (left image) but had trouble heating the generator with the long, slender Coleman mantle (left in the right image) so he used a round, Bullfinch mantle on the right. The knurled ring in the middle of the generator helps to install and remove same.
Model R92078 is an Evening star chandelier. The correct burner assembly is on the right, while the one on the left is a replacement Coleman Quick-Lite made by a previous owner.
This chandelier lamp is in Neil McRae’s collection.
Early (left) and late (right) Kildark Model KG232 table lamps were made by Curtis’s & Harvey, UK, in the same period as they produced the Evening Star brand (above). The burner parts (center) look comparable to an Akron Diamond brand (US) but are not compatible except for the generators, according to Neil McRae, whose collection these lamps are in. The shades are not correct for this model.
Another Kildark model, this is the KG239. An unusual model with a three-footed fount, the metal finish is oxy copper. This lamp is in Nigel Reynolds’ collection and was photographed by Neil McRae.
Falk, Stadelmann, a company located in London, England, sold this Nova lamp model. This lamp, in Conny Carlsson’s collection, came with a ribbed shade as seen here (left).
The burner and associated parts on this match lighting lamp (right) are as those found on some Gloria Light Co., Chicago, models. Other appliances sold by this company were likely imported from National Stamping & Electric Works, Chicago (McRae).
The Nova brand lamp was branded by Falks Veritas, a UK company, but manufactured by National Stamping and Electric Works, Chicago, USA. It is a torch lighting 300cp gasoline lamp in Neil McRae’s collection. The shade is a modern reproduction.
This unmarked Gloria Oxo-Gas table lamp was found by Tony Press in Australia. It may have been made by the Gloria Light Co. Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, Australia, or more likely imported by them from the Gloria Light Co., Chicago, U.S.A. Oxo-Gas Table Lamp No. 1 with this shade appears in the Gloria-Chicago Catalog No. 21 circa 1916.
This Gloria No. 20 Portable Lamp appears in a Gloria Light Co. Australasia catalogue from the late 1920s, according to Tony Press whose collection this is in. Tony used a globe from a Gloria hollow wire lamp to run the lamp in the upper image. The burner system (middle image) includes a semicircular shield near the end of the generator just before the gap that allows air to mix with the atomized fuel to burn on the mantle below.
This unidentified Gloria Australasia lamp, also in Tony Press’ collection, has the same burner system parts as his Gloria No. 20 above but with a different fount and controls (upper image). Tony has seen other Gloria examples of this lamp and doesn’t believe it was assembled by a previous owner. The tag on the shade holder (middle image) is embossed Gloria. The wood handle and filler plug (lower image) are as on some Lindemann & Hoverson Co., Milwaukee, US, lamps. There is additional evidence that the two companies dealt with each other.
This lamp, designated Model “AN” by Neil McRae for want of catalog information, has the same burner assembly, fuel system, and tank as Model “AK” below. Tony Press, whose collection this is in, believes it is contemporary to Model “AK” and the 379 lantern (see below). Like those models this one is gasoline fueled and has a preheater to heat the generator. He found the lamp with the vent and a too-small mica globe. Here the lamp is fitted with a Bialaddin globe. The brown over gold crackel paint is original.
The Gloria Light Co. of Australasia, Melbourne, Australia, made this lamp around 1937. Since there is little catalog information on Gloria, Neil McRae has designated this model “AK”. Gloria Australasia also made a Model 379 lantern with the same fuel system at that time. This gasoline fueled lamp, in Tony Press’ collection, is preheated by a separate slotted fuel line (lower image) controlled by the red valve.
This Model 400 kerosene hanging lamp was made by Gloria Australia, probably early in the WWII period, per Tony Press, whose collection this is in. The black pump knob on the tank and the red fuel valve below (upper left image) are both marked Gloria. In the middle image you can see (right to left) the fuel line from the tank, the valve body less the valve, vapourizer, tubular mixing chamber, and burner cap that are assembled in the bottom image. Tony made a short cylindrical torch to preheat the burner (not shown) to run the lamp (upper right image). The lamp filled with a 1/2 imperial gallon of fuel weighs 10 kg (22 lbs).
This Graetzin 915H lamp was made by Ehrich & Graetz, Berlin, Germany, circa 1910-15. It is a 90 cp, alcohol gravity lamp. The donut tank holds 1.5 liters and will burn for 10 hours, according to its owner, Roland Loos.
This early 200 cp kerosene table lamp appears in an Ehrich & Graetz 1913 catalog as No. 882. The 64 cm tall lamp includes an integral pump and is preheated with a cup below the burner. The upright mantle is supported by a hook (lower right image). The red handled valve in the lower left image is for the tip cleaner. Conny Carlsson researched many German patents before finding the one for his lamp and later found the lamp in the 1913 catalog posted on the Stuga-Cabana Petroleum website.
This a Petromax 816 table lamp, made by Ehrich & Graetz, Germany, that has been converted from a wall bracket lamp to a table lamp with an optional kit sold by the company. This lamp is in Alan Ford’s collection.
Another Petromax 816 table lamp, that was very likely made by Graetz KG, Altena, Germany, in the 1950’s (Breidenstein). This lamp, in Roland Loos’ collection, was new in the box when he got it and with a shade and globe that Roland believes are original.
Petromax Baby lantern Model 900 was also sold as lamp Model 899 with a reflector,
base stand, and ring to fasten the lantern into the stand. This lamp, in Juan Caiti’s collection, also came with an optional fringe (not shown). The lamp appears in a 1934 catalog.
Petromax Model 834 produces 200 cp (right image) and is a sinumbra design (doesn’t cast a downward shadow). The kerosene is pressurized in the donut-shaped fount above the burner. A pump and pressure gauge are both mounted on the top of the fount. This lamp is in Tobias Jesse’s collection.
Petromax Model 835 is a 60cm tall lamp with a steel fount and built-in pump. Walter van Gulik owns the 835 on the left while the 835 on the right, in Dieter Müller’s collection, is also badged F. R. Racek, India. The reflector on this one is marked Swan, another Asian brand. Walter van Gulik dates his 835 to the end of WWII. This 400 CP model uses kerosene.
© 2000-2021 Terry Marsh